To put it simply, a layette is baby’s first wardrobe. The word itself comes from the French for 'little drawer'. If you’re creating a layette for your baby, you’re essentially filling their drawer full of clothes!
At the very least, you'll want to make sure you have all the essentials you’ll need to get through those precious first few months. Luckily, we've compiled a handy list to help you create a supremely luxurious layette for your little one.
You will need...
• Body suits (often called onesies)
• Long-john style one pieces (sometimes called rompers or playsuits)
• Soft stretchy trousers, socks and booties
• Jacket or sweater for colder weather
• A cotton hat and no-scratch mittens
• Receiving blankets in various sizes
• Soft bibs and burp cloths
• Hooded towel
• Baby sleeping bag and pyjamas for night time
• A special outfit to wear home from hospital
There are of course a few things to consider as you busy yourself buying beautiful pieces for your little one's wardrobe...
1. A newborn’s skin is extremely sensitive, so look for items made from super soft fabric.
2. Pay attention to the details. A scratchy tag or stiff fabric will feel horrible against that new baby skin.
3. Clothes with covered snaps or zippers are ideal.
4. Fold-over mittens that can cover baby’s jagged little fingernails are also a great choice as you don’t want them to end up with a face full of scratches.
5. Although luxurious fabrics are lovely, the bulk of baby's wardrobe will need to be up to multiple machine washes, so read those care instructions carefully.
Friends and family won't be able to resist showering your little one with treats and gifts. At Gigi Brooks we make it easy for them to contribute to your layette with an array of pre-made bundles and our incredible bespoke gift boxes.
Have you created your baby's layette yet?
Comments will be approved before showing up.